Homework is an essential part of the educational process. In addition to reinforcing specific subjects in the classroom curriculum, homework can and should be used to:
- Develop responsibility and good study habits.
- Encourage growth of the individual student to his/her full potential.
- Enhance communication skills.
- Apply knowledge to real-life situations in a meaningful way.
- Logically connect or challenge facts and ideas.
- Provide each student an opportunity to develop independent judgment.
- Think critically and problem solve.
Parents are encouraged to check and sign the student planner on a daily basis.
Every student will be required to complete daily homework. Homework is used as a means to improve student achievement, and to hold students accountable for learning outside the classroom. The homework should be focused on reading, writing, vocabulary enrichment and/or math facts practice. Homework assignments could include but are not limited to reading silently, reading out loud or being read to, practicing math facts, flash cards, journal or writing activities, spelling practice, and test tips.
All work sent home must meet the following criteria
- Homework activities should reflect focus on Arizona State Academic Standards.
- Students should be able to successfully accomplish the work independently.
- Students will receive feedback concerning their homework assignments.
Daily Homework Time Allocation by
KINDERGARTEN – 10 MINUTES
FIRST - 30 MINUTES
SECOND-THIRD 30 – 45 MINUTES
FOURTH – SIXTH 45 – 60 MINUTES
WHICH INCLUDES 15 MINUTES OF READING ENCOURAGED DAILY.